About Me

My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I'm an arts management worker/ artist/ designer. I work at Accessible Arts in administration and bookkeeping, but also work on various freelance activities from photography to graphic design. I'm Associate Partner at the ARI, the Big Fag Press, board member of Runway Australian Experimental Art and occasionally work at Bailey and Yang Consultants. My creative work has often been driven by social issues and commentary. This blog started as a way of documenting research for my honours year at uni, which I have continued, in order to gather inspiration for future artistic practice.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Trampoline Day!

So today was Trampoline Day, which was actually a lot of fun.




 First Pat, Steve & Caroline introduced themselves and the day and how it would all run (notice people holding the fliers).


  The we "set the grid" by adding ourselves to the board and choosing what other topics to attend. Anyone could speak about anything - and the topics were as diverse as raw dog food diets to "how to learn MAD skills".


Here we have a passionate lady called Kylie who told us how she raised $33,000 on Pozible to get a whole lot of Australian wool processed in Australia, and talked about the impacts of wool processing in China on sustainability. I got a few hints about why my own pozible campaign wasn't successful! She really marketed her idea and "sold" it to everyone from politicians to knitter's guilds.


Similarly this is Tom, who also spoke about reasons why crowd-funding fails, I think he was from Kickstarter, or just knew a lot about it.


And another session I attended by Adam who spoke about 3D printing, which I'd never really heard of before - basically the idea that a printer can "print" an object out of plastic or metal, after being given a design to print. He seems to think this could be a huge revolution in the next decade - apparently it's possible that everyone will have a 3D printer at home, and any kind of object we need, we either design for ourselves, or download a "design" for. According to Adam, there is a kind of 3D printing "napster" type site, and that one day we will be able to "print" ourselves new livers, or indeed for a 3D printer, to print an iPhone, or just another 3D printer! No doubt this could change a lot of things about creativity and intellectual property.



A 3D printed duck:


 An intricate metal ball-thing:


And a mechanical contraption I'm still not sure what to call:


And of course we gave a presentation on the Big Fag Press, which got us a few interested parties wanting to work with us!

All in all, I've learnt a lot today.

*All photos are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment